AIRSO recognises the achievements of individuals and⁄or organisations against criteria of having made a significant and lasting impact to road safety. The awards were introduced in 2005 to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the Association.
The Sean Morley Prize for 2016 was awarded in Westminster on Thursday November 3rd.
The 2016 Sean Morley Award was presented to Aaron Howard of Nottingham Trent University, Division of Psychology, for his dissertation titled “Training Car Drivers to Spot Motorcycles at T-junctions”, supervised by Professor David Crundall.
L – R, Lucy Rackliff, Kerry Dean, Aaron Howard, Craig Tracey MP.
50th Anniversary Award Winners
The following were all awarded an AIRSO Anniversary Award “for services to Road Safety“:
- Dave Shenton, IAM
- Bill Lavender,
- Martin Cooke,
- Kevin Clinton,
- Gerald Griffin,
- Jenny Wynn, TTC Group
- Jeremy Broughton,
- David Williams MBE,
- Robert Seston,
- Karen Cole, MCIA
- Chris King,
- Heather Ward,
- Steve Lawson,
Also, Mustard Presentations of Coventry were awarded a Certificate of Recognition for their help and assistance over the years in setting up and running the Conference audio/visual equipment.
40th Anniversary Award Winners
- Dr Eduard Gerum, Vice President, Research and Development, Brake Systems of Knorr-Bremse Commercial Vehicle, Systems – for an outstanding contribution to Commercial Vehicle Safety.
- Maurice Easton, EURO NCAP – for a universally accepted approach to measuring vehicle safety, leading to safety becoming an integral part of car design and manufacture.
- Roger Bibbings MBE – for his personal commitment and campaign to raise the awareness of occupational road risk.
- Peter Bottomley MP – for introducing the concept of Road Safety Targets.
- Barry Sheerman MP – for his commitment and work to ensure the introduction of compulsory wearing of seat belts.
- Carl Lomas MBE, Camelot Courier Training – for his commitment to motorcycle safety within the dispatch rider industry.
- Colin Foo, Daniel West Associates – for the overall creative concept of Think!
- Doug Stewart, Visi Rail – for the design of Visi Rail.
- Ted Clements MBE, Individual award – for his life time commitment to Road Safety.
- Volvo, Company award – for their commitment to Car, Bus and Truck Safety.
Award Winners for organisations or individuals
AIRSO will also recognise those organisations or individuals who have made an outstanding contribution or given outstanding service to the Association in terms of “An Award of Appreciation:”
- Institute of Advanced Motorists – for their sustained and continuing support ofAIRSO over a number of years, recognising on two occasions when they supported members of their staff in holding the position of Secretary of the Association.
- David Wilkinson – for his personal commitment and service in setting up and managing the Association’s Website over a number of years.
- Robert Jackson – in recognition of his ten years as Chairman and Founder of the National Blue Light Users’Conference.
- Nick Stilwell and the Stilwell Partnership – for his personal support and that of his company for services and financial support to the Association over a sustained period.
- Graham Wynn OBE and the TTC Group – for his personal support and that of his organisation to both the Association and the individual Members of the Association over a continued period.
- Andrew Howard MBE – for his personal support and commitment to AIRSO.
- Michael (Mike) Lyne – for his personal support and commitment to AIRSO.
In addition AIRSO will recognise companies and/or organisations who can demonstrate that they have road safety policies and practices in place that are being implemented and are leading towards a positive road safety culture within the workplace.
Currently the Association has made no awards in this category.